You’re redoing your living room, and the question arises: Carpeting or Wood Flooring? It’s one we’ve all contemplated – the cozy vs. the sophisticated, the color options vs. the natural palette. Here are the top benefits of both carpets and hardwood flooring – but we won’t tell you which to pick. You’ll have to take a look and decide for yourself!
Benefits of Carpet
- Variety: Carpets come in many types and colors, so you have a multitude of options. The main types available to you are Plush, made to make you feel like you’re walking on a bed of cotton balls; Textured Plush, which is more dense and often used for the entire home; Berber, which is extremely durable; and Frieze, which is a shaggy carpet often used in entryways as the fibers curl and easily hide footprints. You can choose colors that are as subdued or as bold as your personality.
- Safety: If you have a young one or a clumsy one at home, carpets provide less slip than flooring – an important safety feature!
- Easier Maintenance: If you are constantly on the go, you may want to consider carpet as your preferred option. It is more apparent when a hardwood floor is dirty, requiring continual sweeping and mopping maintenance. Carpets generally require an easy vaccum (and a periodic carpet clean.)
- Durability: Wood flooring is known for its durability over time. If your top priority is investing in your home for a future sale, hardwood may be the way to go.
- Timeless: Wood flooring does not go out of style. Whereas one may turn around and wonder how that 1960’s orange-shag-with-flower-pattern carpet got in their home, no one will ever wonder how a well-maintained hardwood floor got in the house.
- Matches: One key benefit of a wood floor is that it goes with everything. If you choose to change your furniture down the line, a hardwood floor will be the friend who stays by your side.