This blog post is for everyone’s benefit, because I know I am not the only one with mystery boxes in the basement. Feel free to knowingly chuckle in recognition that these items are still…somewhere…in your house as well.
|The clean-out: remove as much as possible from the house!|
1. T-SHIRTS FROM SCHOOLS, TRIPS, JOBS, PARTIES, VOLUNTEER EVENTS, ETC.It seems every time I attended a volunteer event, a school play or a celebration at work, it came with a T-shirt. I’m not sure why all these groups have not caught on that these T-shirts inevitably end up in the basement. I had sentimental value attached to some of these shirts: because I was in the school play, or I planned that big event at work. But you know what, I have the memories and the pictures. THROW OUT!
2. GIFTS FROM EX’S:I agree, some of these have sentimental value attached to them. But if it is a trinket that used to sit on your dresser and is now in a box..it is time to get rid. SALVATION ARMY!
3. THINGS THAT ARE USEFUL, BUT YOU USE INFREQUENTLY:I had a bunch of fold-out arm chairs with beer holders that are great for BBQs or outdoor events. But I’d be OK to sit on a blanket on the floor, and haven’t needed to bring my own chair to a BBQ…ever. GIVE TO A WANTING FRIEND.
|Donate the nice clothes you only wore once to Career Gear or DonateMyDress|
4. NICE THINGS LIKE A SUIT THAT YOU WORE ONCE FOR THAT INTERVIEW OR THAT WEDDING:If your office is business casual, or you don’t have an afternoon wedding in the foreseeable future, give it to a group that can use it. CAREER GEAR or DONATEMYDRESS
5. SPORTSGEAR:I had rollerblades that I used to use a lot, but pretty much had traded blading in for biking a long time ago. Let’s get real – I will never use my roller blades again. PLAY IT AGAIN SPORTS.
6. GUITAR HERO:While this is a nice thing to have, it was in my basement. That says it all. CRAIGSLIST.
Declutter your place and reclaim your space! You will be very glad you did and can finally get to redoing that room!
This post was written by Jessica.